Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Monday, January 17, 2011

Fashion Rundown: 2011 Golden Globes

Green. Pink. Long sleeves. Big shoulders. Gowns with one shoulder. Trends abounded on the Golden Globes red carpet last night. I was pretty happy to see more colour than usual, but I also found that I didn't really have one stand out favourite. Oh, except for Robert Downey Jr. who I really wish was hosting the Oscars instead of Anne Hathaway and James Franco (which I still totally don't get--I mean, did they just pick their names out of a hat or what?!) Anyhoo, here are some of my thoughts on last night's fashions...


Sofia Vergara was smokin' in her Vera Wang
 (No Carolina this time?)  


The back of this dress is what really elevates it
from pretty to one of the best of the night.


Another fave was Anne Hathaway's Armani. Sure the shoulders were a little big and Dynasty-esque, but the colour and sequins looked fab on camera and the back was just stunning. 


I think Sandra Bullock looked great. Jesse who? Yes, even the bangs (the likes of which could also be seen on Olivia Wilde). I think Sandra looked feminine and relaxed, and her Jenny Packham had just enough of a vintage vibe. The jewellery was great too.


Kyra Sedgwick looked relaxed and gorgeous in her mustard Emilio Pucci. Oh, and her turquoise earrings and those stacked bangles? Killer.


Emerald Isle

More than a few ladies showed up in the gorgeous dark green hue. While I loved the colours of these dresses, some fared better than others where cut and style was concerned... 


Catherine Zeta Jones is all movie star, all the time. She's gorgeous, ageless and a real woman. I love that, despite the volume on her Monique Lhuillier, CZJ is wearing the dress not the other way around.


Mila in Vera Wang was another favourite. I think the colour, cut (including the one-shouldered look that was everywhere last night--more on that later!), draping, all of it really suited her.


Elizabeth Moss' Donna Karan is pretty.
For some reason she routinely bores me.


I think the colour of Angelina Jolie's dress is stunning, but the cut is so old ladyish (a style she seems to favor). My immediate reaction was "Is this the Golden Globes or Golden Girls?"


Think Pink

So by now we all know that honeysuckle is the anointed colour for spring. I was happy to see brighter colours on the red carpet, including many shades of pink, which some did better than others...


Like Anne Hathaway's dress Natalie Portman's pink and red Viktor and Rolf is a divisive choice. Sure, she may look like a Valentine come early, but my immediate thought when I saw her was that she looked great--and I'm sticking to it. I think the dash of red popped on the red carpet, better than those who go for the full on red dress instead (January Jones, I'm talking to you.)


I know a lot of people loved Claire Danes' Calvin Klein. While I can definitely say I love the colour (and her cuff bracelet) I'm not a huge fan of the cut. A little too minimalist for me. And I really can't believe that Calvin Klein dressed Claire and Emma Stone in what to my mind are two very similar dresses.


I guess, in all fairness, Emma's dress is more on the coral-orange side but I still think that she and Claire have a very similar vibe going on. I like Emma and I think her dress is casually elegant. What I don't love is the hair. She may be a natural blonde, but I doubt it's this Lindsay Lohan blonde.


Lea Michele is another one-shouldered wonder in cotton candy pink Oscar de la Renta. I don't love it. I don't hate it. Lea, though, has been grating on my nerves for awhile now.


I love Julianne Moore and I think this colour is great on her. If it wasn't for that F-ed up sleeve I would love this Lanvin dress too. As it stands it looks like Julianne's wearing an untailored bolt of fabric on one arm.


Nudes and Neutrals

I can tell you that I'm pretty much over dress colours that blend completely into skin tones, although some of the choices last night (like Scarlett's and Carrie's) didn't look completely horrible.



Carrie Underwood looking pretty, but maybe a bit
too pageant-esque in sequined Badgley Mischka.


Heather Morris in Lorena Sarbu


Gorgeous Dianna Agron poured on the
Old Hollywood glam in J. Mendel


Kaley Cuoco in an unfortunate Catherine Kidd


Blah. Blah, blah, blah. Blah! That's pretty much all I thought when I saw Nicole Kidman in this one-shouldered sequined Prada. Blah.


I'm not going to lie, the shade of Scarlett's Elie Saab was flattering, especially under the stage lights. I could have done without the wing-y sleeves and, let's face it, not much else matters with that horrific hair.


Not So Basic Black

So I know I said I was all about the colour, but some of my fave looks from the night were indeed the women who chose to wear classic black (ie: Eva Longoria and Melissa Leo).


I think Eva's body looked bangin' in this Zac Posen.
Which is what any new divorcee wants.
Somewhere Tony Parker is weeping.


Another black, cap-sleeved gown, this time
Melissa Leo in sparkly Marc Bouwer.
Right on the money in my estimation.


I didn't mind Kelly Osbourne's Zac Posen,
although I do think it would help if she went
with a hair colour actually found in nature.


Piper Perabo's simple and elegant Oscar de
la Renta was saved from total bland city
by those gorgeous red lips.


Julia Stile's one-shouldered Romona Keveza
wasn't offensive in and of itself but I just
wasn't feeling it.


Gosh, Halle Berry is gorgeous, isn't she?
I mean, her skin is freakin' flawless.
I guess if I were her I wouldn't bother
putting on an actual dress either.


One Shoulder Ruled The Night

In addition to the one-shouldered looks above (Mila, Lea, Julianne, Nicole, Kelly, Julia) there were a ton others to be seen on the red carpet last night. Namely...


A very sparkly Amber Riley


Jane Krakowski in cornflower blue Badgley Mischka,
a colour that suited her perfectly (and I loved the earrings!)


Julie Bowen in Tadashi Shoji


Mandy Moore looked happy and pretty
in her blue Monique Lhuillier.


Megan Fox in Armani Prive. I'd seriously like
 to know what she's done to her face. She doesn't
 even look like the same person anymore.


Christina Kendricks looked like her life was
being threatened by the ruffle on her red Romona
Keveza. She's such a beautiful woman...why can't
she ever get it right on the red carpet?


The Bad

And I'm not even going to mention Helena Bonham Carter and her two different coloured shoes, because obviously HBC is in a league all her own, not to be judged with others...


I hate this dress. Poor Mr. Valentino. Not only does Michelle Williams look like Drew Barrymore circa 1992 (daisies and hair included), but the dress looks like it cost her $50 at the mall. Maybe it was just me but, up close and on camera even the construction looked heinous.


Speaking of red--and wrong--I was stunned speechless when I first set eyes on January Jones' Versace. My second reaction is that I'd seen her in a dress like this before (a shorter, spangled version that showed less skin, which she wore to a Versace fashion show). When she was presenting I was struck by how beautiful she is, neck up, and then by just how squeezed in her boobs look. Overall a little strange and unattractive for my taste.


I don't think I need to say anything about Christina's Zuhair Murad. I'm pretty sure that this is one of those times when a picture is worth a thousand words.


Another actress about to be devoured by her own ruffle. At least something was eaten at the Hilton last night. This Romona Keveza looks like a bridal gown gone wrong. Although it was fun to see the little Party of Five and My So-Called Life head to head last night when JLH squared off against Claire Danes in the same category. Speaking of the 90s, did anyone see Trent Reznor all clean cut and well spoken accepting his award?  *!%$ I felt old.


On The Fence


I really can't decide how I feel about JLo's Zuhair Murad. It reminds me of that mint green vintage Valentino that she wore to the Oscars when she was still dating Ben Affleck. I will say this, though, her boobs looked great.


Jennifer Lawrence in Louis Vuitton. I want to like this, but I think it may be too ruffly...or too dark...or something.


Ah, Leighton, you stump me. I can't say I adore this dress although I do like that she went for the long sleeve trend (even if the sleeves look like they belong in Pride and Prejudice or something). The accessories are definitely great. Love the Jimmy Choos and those killer earrings.


Oliva Wilde is beautiful and there is something fairytale pretty about her Marchesa. The bodice fits like a dream and I don't dislike this dress, although it was freakin' huge. Like she could smuggle the entire cast of House in under that skirt and no one would notice huge.


Do you agree? Disagree?
I'd love to know.
What was your fave look of the night?





Images via




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...